Thanks to the latest fads, hype, and trends popping up out of the woodwork, and the celebrities making them so, I can’t help but see all around me, people are on some kind of juice cleanse, or detox diet. It is literally everywhere I look; at the store, I see people purchasing enough fruits and veg to feed an army, the newest “fruit of the month” with claims to “make you lose weight in 24 hours” bought by the pound, the latest “secret” to attaining youth.
I am not saying that these detoxes and cleanses are bad (they are), but it is important to have the education and know-how to a proper detox, so that your system is actually cleansed of all its toxins, rather than ridding yourself of some of your toxins, and in its place, gaining a whole new set of significant bodily problems and complications. Picture this, you are a few pounds overweight, and are looking for a quick and easy way to shed those excess pounds. From a good friend or colleague, you hear about how they quickly shed 10 pounds from an all-liquid “fat-burning” diet, and you just feel that if it worked wonders for them, then it just might be the cure-all for you. Without much thought, you jump enthusiastically in head first into this diet, excited to watch the fat melt off of your body.
You eliminate all of your regular food intake, and drastically reduce your calorie intake, and in a few days’ time, you notice yourself slimming down. But, you also notice an unpleasant something else that you didn’t count on: headaches, pains, constant hunger, hallucinations about binging on chocolate, bread, and chips, and itchy rashes that just won’t seem to stop. Yes, you lost the pounds, but in its place, you got a whole other list of problems that end up making you miserable. So, what did you do wrong? It worked for your friend, so why not for you? I will tell you why.
What you didn’t realize was that your rapid weight loss released other toxins into your system that had been safely stored in your body, and you became more toxic rather than less, because this “super magic wonder diet” that you followed, was lacking in sufficient nutrients to help support your body’s detoxification system. I am going to explain to you how to detox the healthy way, the TRANSFORM way, the best way that will get you the best results. One of the questions I get about detox is, “What should I be looking for in an optimal detox plan? ” Allow me to enlighten you with key elements that will serve to make your detox revitalizing and healthy.
1) High quality protein sources. Protein extracts amino acids, which are vital components for your enzymes, and the pathway to your liver detoxification. I highly recommend vegetarian/vegan sources for your protein, such as legumes, beans, nuts, and seeds. Another helpful protein source would be healthy protein powders such as pea, hemp, and whey.
2) Adequate nutrients. The process of detoxing your system is quite complex, employing a large number of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals. Eating foods that are packed with nutrients, such as fruits and vegetables, will keep your system working strong, and allow you to stay revitalized while on your detox.
3) Consume vegetables that come of the cruciferous variety— in other words, those of the cabbage family. Yikes, I know what you are saying, but hold on to your horses, and don’t get your panties in a wad. You wanted to detox, right? Cruciferous vegetables support liver detoxification and stabilizes your metabolism. Vegetables in this family include broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale, cabbage– just to name a few.
4) Antioxidant rich foods. Your body has a tendency to create toxic metabolites that can be used during the detox process, and can be quite harmful if not defended by protective nutrients. Foods that are rich in vitamin C, magnesium, selenium, and phytonutrients– such as are found in onions, garlic, fruits, and vegetables– are the best.
5) And, last but not least, drink a lot of water while on your detox. Because the detox process eliminates toxins through your sweat and urine, by not drinking enough water throughout, you could get dehydrated and clog your flow. Drinking six to eight glasses of water daily, will ensure your bodily functions flow smoothly. There are things, every day pleasures that people enjoy, that I highly recommend avoiding while on your detox. These things include:
– Alcohol (Duh, really?!)
– Tobacco (For God’s sake, I hope you are not one of those smokers)
– Recreational drugs (Seriously?!)
– Caffeine (Sorry, coffee lovers, you must get off the bean. But it’s not for forever)
– Anything artificial such as processed foods, and artificial sweeteners and sugars
– Drive thrus (if you have a burger and fries habit, then you are an addict)
If I had any more tips and tricks for the right way to detox up my sleeve, it would be:
1) To reduce exposing your system to dangerous and poisonous pesticides that are sprayed on the non-organic fruits and veggies, purchase as much as you can organically. I know, it doesn’t sound realistic, as most of you are on a tight budget, but I am too, and I manage to purchase many of my foods organic. You don’t have to buy everything organic, as it can be a penny pincher.
2) Very important: Make absolutely sure that you have at least one good bowel movement, or more, a day. Two is even better, and three is amazing. Sorry, I know its gross, but it’s a part of life, and we all poop, right? You want to make sure that any and all toxins that are being mobilized while on your detox are exiting your system, and not being stored up in your body.
3) Sweat out your toxins, and get sufficient rest. I highly recommend a light exercise or other method of perspiring, and releasing the toxins out from your body. But, don’t forget to get enough rest, and don’t stress out your body while it is going through this major detoxification process. Be gentle with yourself.
My clients who have followed these healthy detox steps above, have come back to me telling stories of weight loss, reduced cravings, decreased inflammation and pain, and improved energy. I promise that if you include these tips as part of your lifestyle, and take the steps to reduce the mass of toxicity in every single area of your life, you will move in the direction of complete wellness and increased energy and vivacity, the TRANSFORM way.